The Radical Gap Year wants to help students in the following four categories:
- Spiritual Formation
- Pursue an intimate relationship with God
- Establish solid biblical and theological foundations
- Encounter urgent spiritual and physical needs in local and global contexts
- Become confident in sharing the gospel
- Holistic Integration
- Relate personal gifting and opportunities to the church’s mission
- Establish healthy lifestyle practices and habits
- Critical Thinking and Communication
- Develop and apply critical-thinking skills
- Make wise academic and vocational choices
- Capture the strategic nature of how vocational choices relate to discipling the nations
- Global Perspective
- Critically evaluate worldviews through Scripture
- Become aware of global needs and God’s global purposes
- Identify and correct an ethnocentric approach to the Christian life
The Gap Year is designed to cultivate young men and women who are . . .
Local community immersion and service
International experience in South Asia
Fellowship within the context of McLean Bible Church
Interaction with global leaders like David Platt
Personal study and peer interaction
The Radical Gap Year is a 9-month fellowship designed to assist high school graduates between the ages of 18 and 20. No matter what career path students hope to pursue, the Radical Gap Year is designed with the goal to help them become fully engaged disciples of Jesus Christ who will leverage all areas of their lives for the sake of God’s glory among all nations. To reach this goal, the program will focus on equipping students in all areas of life, including godly living, intellectual development, daily responsibilities, and life skills.
This fellowship is for students who have graduated from high school and are 18 – 20 years-old by September 1 of the year they enter the program.
Applications for the 2021/22 program year are closed. Applications for the 2022/23 program year will open early fall. More details to come. There is a $50 fee to apply. For questions regarding dates and deadlines, CONTACT US.
The Radical Gap Year 2021/22 is being hosted by McLean Bible Church at their main campus in Vienna, VA, located about 40 minutes outside the nation’s capital in the Metro DC area.
Weekly program activities, outreach, and discipleship will be in and around the greater metropolitan area. Students will live near the McLean Bible Church Tysons Campus (Vienna, VA) and will be housed by gender, with 4–6 students of the same gender in a two- or three-bedroom apartment. Program supervisors will live nearby and will disciple, care for, and supervise students. The program also includes a 4-week trip to South Asia.
The cost of the program is $16,000. This includes international trip travel, housing in DC, utilities, and group activities. However, in an effort to train and equip students to budget their daily living costs, the students will be responsible for handling their own finances regarding food, daily travel in DC, travel to and from the program, winter break travel, travel immunizations, and passport fees.
*All amounts listed are not exact quotes and are subject to change*
This fellowship is for students who have graduated from high school and are 18–20 years-old by September 1 of the year they enter the program.
Students applying should be in a committed and growing relationship with Jesus Christ, members of a local church, teachable and willing to be fully engaged (mentally, physically, spiritually) in every activity in the program, a high school graduate or equivalent, a US citizen, have a 2.80 GPA or higher, and have test scores of at least 20 on the ACT, 1050 on the SAT, or 72 on the CLT.
The Radical Gap Year program will collect $16,000* and is not tax-deductible. Below is a breakdown of that cost.
The program cost includes:
- 4 week international trip ($6,000*)
- Housing with furniture ($7,500*)
- Utilities ($600*)
- Group activities ($1,900*)
The program cost does not include:
- Food costs
- Daily travel within the city (While the Radical Gap Year directors will not be collecting and managing finances for daily travel needs, students must come prepared with $1,575 ready to use toward public and private transportation as directed.)
- Travel to/from the program (start/end)
- Travel from/to program during Christmas Break
- Travel immunizations
- Passport fees
* Amounts listed are not exact quotes and are subject to change.
The 2021 program will begin in September 2021 and will end in May 2022. Specific dates are to be determined.
Yes, applicants will have an opportunity to apply for financial aid, and scholarship recipients will be notified before they complete their enrollment into the program.
For Radical Gap Year 2021/22, financial aid applications are now closed. Applications for the 2022/23 program year will open early fall.