The Radical Gap Year wants to help students in the following four categories:
- Spiritual formation
- Holistic integration
- Critical thinking and communication
- Global perspective
The Gap Year is designed to cultivate young men and women who are . . .
- Cultivate spiritual disciplines
- Form Christian character
- Develop biblical worldview
- Make disciples of all nations
- Make strategic college and vocation decisions
- Make biblically informed major life choice
- Discipleship communities
- Interactive lectures
- Local community immersion and service
- International experience in South Asia
- Fellowship within the context of McLean Bible Church
- Interaction with global leaders like David Platt
- Personal study and peer interaction
The Radical Gap Year is a 9-month fellowship designed to assist high school graduates between the ages of 18 and 20. No matter what career path students hope to pursue, the Radical Gap Year is designed with the goal to help them become fully engaged disciples of Jesus Christ who will leverage all areas of their lives for the sake of God’s glory among all nations. To reach this goal, the program will focus on equipping students in all areas of life, including godly living, intellectual development, daily responsibilities, and life skills.
This fellowship is for students who have graduated from high school and are 18 – 20 years-old by September 1 of the year they enter the program.
Early enrollment applications for fall 2021 will open August 1, 2020 and close September 30, 2020. Regular enrollment applications for fall 2021 will open October 1, 2020 and close February 28, 2021. There is a $50 fee to apply. For questions regarding dates and deadlines, CONTACT US.
The Radical Gap Year 2021/22 is being hosted by McLean Bible Church at their main campus in Vienna, VA, located about 40 minutes outside the nation’s capital in the Metro DC area.
The 2021/22 Radical Gap Year is being hosted by McLean Bible Church at their main campus located in Vienna, Virginia, located about 40 minutes outside the nation’s capital in the Metro DC area. Weekly program activities, outreach, and discipleship will be in and around the greater metropolitan area. Students will live near the McLean Bible Church Tysons Campus (Vienna, VA) and will be housed by gender, with 4–6 students of the same gender in a two- or three-bedroom apartment. Program supervisors will live nearby and will disciple, care for, and supervise students. The program also includes a 4-week trip to South Asia.
The cost of the program is $16,000. This includes international trip travel, housing in DC, utilities, and group activities. However, in an effort to train and equip students to budget their daily living costs, the students will be responsible for handling their own finances regarding food, daily travel in DC, travel to and from the program, winter break travel, travel immunizations, and passport fees.
*All amounts listed are not exact quotes and are subject to change*
This fellowship is for students who have graduated from high school and are 18–20 years-old by September 1 of the year they enter the program.
Students applying should be in a committed and growing relationship with Jesus Christ, members of a local church, teachable and willing to be fully engaged (mentally, physically, spiritually) in every activity in the program, a high school graduate or equivalent, a US citizen, have a 2.80 GPA or higher, and have test scores of at least 20 on the ACT, 1050 on the SAT, or 72 on the CLT.
The Radical Gap Year program will collect $16,000* and is not tax-deductible. Below is a breakdown of that cost.
The program cost includes:
- 4 week international trip ($6,000*)
- Housing with furniture ($7,500*)
- Utilities ($600*)
- Group activities ($1,900*)
The program cost does not include:
- Food costs
- Daily travel within the city (While the Radical Gap Year directors will not be collecting and managing finances for daily travel needs, students must come prepared with $1,575 ready to use toward public and private transportation as directed.)
- Travel to/from the program (start/end)
- Travel from/to program during Christmas Break
- Travel immunizations
- Passport fees
* Amounts listed are not exact quotes and are subject to change.
The 2021 program will begin in September 2021 and will end in May 2022. Specific dates are to be determined.
Yes, applicants will have an opportunity to apply for financial aid, and scholarship recipients will be notified before they complete their enrollment into the program.
For Radical Gap Year 2021/22, financial aid applications are due by February 15, 2021.